There are xylitol mouthwashes available commercially, but they tend to be expensive. You can make this all-natural, inexpensive mouthwash using xylitol to sweeten it and to help protect your teeth. The mouthwash contains no alcohol or other chemicals, which can sting tender mouth tissues.
What You Will Need
- 3 cups distilled water
- 2 tsp. fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp. anise seeds
- 1 tsp. (or more to taste) powdered xylitol
- Coffee filter
- Heatproof jar
- Jar or bottle
- Pour 3 cups of distilled water into a heavy saucepan. Distilled water is preferable to ordinary tap water because it doesn't contain any impurities. Add 2 tsp. of fresh mint and 1 tsp. of rosemary leaves and 1 tsp. anise seeds
- Bring the pot to a boil and simmer the solution for 20 minutes to extract the oils from the herbs.
- Remove the pot from the heat and cool the contents to room temperature.
- Strain the solution through a paper coffee filter into a heatproof jar. Add 1 tsp. (more or less to taste) of powdered xylitol and stir to dissolve completely.
- Pour the xylitol mouthwash into a bottle or jar and cap it tightly. Use it as often as you like as a healthy, refreshing mouthwash. Store the unused portion in a cool location.